Day 1

Quito
Our flight from the U.S. was delayed at take-off and arrived in Quito after midnight. We checked into the Hotel Quito and awoke to clear skies in the morning. A view of our hotel.


The view from our hotel.



Quito is the second largest city in Ecuador and at 9,500 feet above sea level it is the second highest capital in the world.

With the clear skies we headed for Teleferico. A cable car that takes passengers to an elevation of 13,280 feet on summit of Cruz Loma.


Catholic church at the summit of Cruz Loma.


Shopping at the street vendors at El Ejido Park.






Lots kids in peddle cars enjoying a ride in the park.




Local food in the park. Each stick had meat and vegetables cooked over charcoal. It looked and smelled great, so I had one. Mine had, a sausage, a potato, chicken breast and banana. Good food for only $1.50.


You never know what you will find in the park.

7 comments:

Cassie said...

Spectacular views. Now I will look for some photos of alpaca or llamas. Thanks for the postcard! My favortie camelid is the alpaca and I adore socks made from the fiber.

Cassie said...

Hey Bob! May I use a few of your photographs (with shadows) on one of my Shadow Shot Sunday posts? I will give you full credit and also link to your blog if you say okay. Let me know. Cassie
ps-"Hi" to Mary Ann!

Bob and Mary Beebe said...

Cassie, No problem using the blog photos. Ecuador was great.

You should have my email address if you need to contact us on photo.

I have also created a photo CD of this trip if you would like a copy. The photo CD has more photos and details of the trip.

We only saw a couple of alpacas and llamas which accounts for the lack of photos. We see more alpacas and llamas within five miles of home.

Cassie said...

I particularly liked your shadow shots of the gondola (on the way to Cruz Loma summit), Mary Ann on the hanging bridge and the grasshopper thingy on what appears to be a venus flytrap. Those are the ones I would like to use. I've snatched them, but if you could email them to me I will see what translates best onto my blog. I will then use them for my next weeks Shadow Shots. Thanks a bunch. Oh yes, my email is: cassiejo(AT)juno(DOT)com

Cassie said...

PS-You should join in on Shadow Shot Sunday. Since it originated in Australia it's actually Saturday here. It's like an addiction, hunting for great shadows all the time!!

Janet said...

Lovely photographs -it looks like a place I would very much enjoy visiting ! Popped across from Cassie`s blog -will definitely pop back again soon

Connie said...

Fabulous photos! What a lovely spot to visit. I'm here from Cassie's blog. :)